ARUA Conference 2023
FOURTH PLENARY SESSION: Preparing African Students for the Future
Chair: Emeritus Professor Olufemi Bamiro, Former Vice Chancellor, University of Ibadan
- Mr. Jerome September, Dean of Students, University of the Witwatersrand
Title: “Breaking down the walls: Student Success as a common purpose for Academic and Student Affairs. A Wits University Perspective”
- Professor Gordon Awandare, Pro-Vice Chancellor, Academic and Student Affairs, University of Ghana
Title: “Preparing Students for the World of Competitive Research”.
- Professor Roberta Comunian, Professor of Creative Economies, Department of Culture, Media and Creative Industries, Kings College London
Title: “It takes a village: Supporting creative graduates in and beyond the creative industries”.
THIRD PLENARY SESSION: Technology and Changing Higher Education Practice: How Should African Universities Respond?
Chair: Professor Sizwe Mabizela, Vice Chancellor, Rhodes University
- Professor John Effah, Director, Institutional Planning and Research, University of Ghana
Title: “Digital innovation and transformation of HEIs in Africa: opportunities, challenges, and responses”.
- Professor Russ Ganim, Dean of International Programs, University of Iowa
Title: “Tech and Teams: The Promise of Webinars and Global Classrooms”.
- Professor Adeniyi Isafiade, Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Cape Town
Title: “African universities can enhance teaching and learning using technology by leveraging opportunities”
SECOND PLENARY SESSION: Governance at the Universities of the Future
Chair: Professor Nana Aba Appiah Amfo, Vice Chancellor, University of Ghana
- Professor Graham Carr, President and Vice Chancellor, Concordia University (TBC)
Title: “Concordia: a next-generation university”.
- Professor Lanre Fagbohun, Former Vice Chancellor, Lagos State University
Title: “Mapping Governance Risks, the Future of Universities”.
- Professor Lis Lange, Former Deputy Vice Chancellor (T&L) University of Cape Town, Special Advisor: Deputy Vice-Chancellor Learning and Teaching,
Title: “Re-engaging Governance Praxis at African Universities: A reflection from the trenches”
FIRST PLENARY SESSION: Understanding the Changing Dynamics of Higher Education: A Global Perspective
Chair: Professor Folasade Ogunsola, Vice Chancellor, University of Lagos
- Professor Daya Reddy, Vice Chancellor (Interim), University of Cape Town
Title: “Partnerships and collaboration in scholarship: crossing and eliminating boundaries”.
- Professor Emmanuel Ojo, Deputy Head: Wits School of Education & Chair: Faculty of Humanities’ Transformation, Internationalisation, and
Partnerships Committee, University of the Witwatersrand
Title: “Mapping the Academic Landscape: A Bibliometric Journey Through Higher Education in Africa”.
- Professor Wendy Thomson CBE, Vice Chancellor, University of London
Title: “Transnational Education on Tides of Change”.
Fourth ARUA 2023 Biennial International Conference Opens
A colourful opening ceremony of the Fourth ARUA 2023 Biennial International Conference took place this morning at the Tayo Aderinokun Theatre at the University of Lagos.
The Conference brings together about 300 participants who are experts from universities, research institutions, government, industry, civil society organisations and stakeholders of ARUA. The theme for the Conference is: Reimagining the Future of Higher Education in Africa. University of Lagos is hosting the International Conference.
Please follow the Conference at: https://www.youtube.com/@arua_news/streams